Affiliations and Other Interests
Classical Association of the Middle West and South (CAMWS) since 1991; CAMWS finance committee August 1994 to April 2004; state vice-president 1998. See also the Utah Classics Resource web site.
Association of Ancient Historians (AAH) since 1998.
Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) since 2001.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir since 2003.
- Video Interview with Dr H.: What Singing with the Mormon Taberncale Choir is Like
- Time Commitment of the Choir
- Video Interviews with other Choir Leaders and Members
In 2007 my son, Samuel, was diagnosed with autism. Although he is fairly highly functioning and he has been mainstreamed in public schools, his condition has changed our family, permanently.
Autism, and both the challenges and blessings it has brought to me amd my family, has influenced my spiritual walk, my teaching, and my writing.
- Autism Speaks
- Autism Society
- Our provider, Autism Links
- Dr H about his son, Samuel: Christmas with Autism, and a Mormon Identities episode on the same topic
- Dr. H's wife joins him, a psychologist, and a therapist to talk about Autism and the Church
- Here is the note, which is really a personal essay, I wrote reflecting on Samuel's autism, his experience at his school spelling bee, and all of our need for grace: The Failure that Was a Success: How My Son's Losing the Spelling Bee Was the One of the Proudest Moments of My Life
- NEW "Our Galilee Miracle," from my new book, The Miracles of Jesus. A personal essay of God's hand in my son's life and in my own.
Announcements and Upcoming Events
September 12: “Sitting at the Feet of Jesus,” Time Out for Women, Denver
August 18-21 “Worship: Encountering and Being Transformed by God,” BYU Education Week
August 17 “LDS Christology and the Gospel of John,” BYU Education Week
August 5-11 Aspen Grove Family Camp
April 22: “Grateful for Grace: Appreciating the Saving and Transforming Power of Jesus Christ,” YSA 18th Stake Fireside
April 30: Womens Conference 2015 "Wells of Trust Fanning Flames of Faith"
May 8–9: “The Search for the ‘Real’ Jesus of Nazareth: The Jesus of Faith, History, and Revelation,” Miller-Eccles Study Group, Fullerton and La Cañada, California
September 24 Second John A. Widtsoe Symposium, “Religion in the Public Square,” 7:00-9:00, tutor Center Ballroom, USC, Los Angeles (with the following link:
October 9 “The Footsteps of Jesus: Remembering His Miracles,” Cruise Lady Learn Our Religion Series, 7:00, 9118 S Redwood, West Jordan
November 8: “Sitting at the Feet of Jesus,” Time Out for Women, St. George
November 14: “Sitting at the Feet of Jesus,” Time Out for Women, Portland